What is Holistic Medicine?
Holistic medicine is a type of medicine, which considers human body as a whole for any disease. In a system of holistic health care, holistic doctors consider relationship among all the body parts as well as emotional and mental level of a person. It leads towards optimal attainment of emotional, physical, mental, spiritual and social aspects of health.
The main emphasizes of Holistic medicine is to look at the whole person. The concept of holistic medicine includes nutritional, environmental, social, emotional, lifestyle and spiritual values. It also includes all stated modalities of diagnosis and treatment when no other safe alternative exists. It focuses on responsibility and education to achieve balance and well-being in life.
Holistic Medicine is basically a type of healing which covers all the aspects of the body like spirit, body, emotions and mind. According to the philosophy of the holistic medicine, one can achieve a stable health in life through holisitc medicinal practice. This is the primary goal of the holistic medicine practitioner by gaining proper balance in life. They believe that human body is made up of different parts which are independent in nature and if one of its part stops working, other parts of the body will also get affected. If people have emotional, physical or spiritual problems in their life, then it is going to affect their overall health.
Principle of Holistic Medicine
According to Holistic practice, unconditional love and support is most powerful healer of a person. Some other principle of the Holistic Medicines include
- All people undergoing treatment must have innate healing powers.
- The patient undergoing treatment is person, not disease.
- Healing is a team approach. The members of the team are patient and doctor. It addresses all aspects of person’s lifestyle.
Types of Treatment
Practitioners of Holistic medicine use different types of treatment techniques, which help the patients take responsibility of their own well-being. It also helps the person to achieve the optimal health. The Holistic approach Includes:
- Education of Patients on lifestyle changes and to promote wellness. This includes exercise, diet, psychotherapy, spiritual counselling and spiritual relationships.
- Alternative and Complementary therapies such as naturopathy, acupuncture, homeopathy, chiropractic care and others.
- Surgical Procedures and Western Medications
Also look at top 10 alternative medical practices
Other Terms Related with Holistic Medicines
- Alternative Medicine: Alternative medicine term is often used by some practitioners of health care and general public. Sometimes, alternate medicinal practices refer medical techniques, which are not accepted.Many a times, They are not known by the majority allopathy and conventional practitioners. However, this term also implies to any experiment drug or non-drug technique that is not practiced or it is not accepted by conventional practitioners.
- Complementary Medicine: This term is often used by conventional practitioners of medicines, which refer to non-pharmaceutical, non-invasive techniques. The complementary medicine term is a primary tool for non-pharmaceutical and non-invasive techniques. It can completely heal both chronic and acute diseases. In some of the cases undergoing treatment, holistic medicines form the major part of Healing plan, but in some cases it is not needed at all.
- Natural Healing: It refers to the non-pharmaceutical and non-invasive techniques to help heal patient.