Ergonomics in workplace, like any other important term it’s also derived from Greek. It has various derived meanings. The simpler description is work science. It is often misinterpreted as seating arrangement or design of a car. If we describe in simple words, ergonomics is the design of anything that provides healthy environment.
Ergonomics in workplace is most important for any employees to work. “What is ergonomics?” this question may arise in your head, it is nothing but a design of your atmosphere to have a better output of your work. The importance of workplace ergonomics is often underrated. Small scale industries mostly avoid the ergonomics in the workplace. Ergonomics makes the job easier. Ergonomics has huge impact on the productivity of the employee. It also helps in the well-being of the employee.
Ergonomics in workplace design is to find a way, which does not tire your muscles to an extreme while working. Importance of workplace ergonomics also is a cost efficient factor while designing an office. Importance of workplace ergonomics is to reduce the toll that the office hours take on your neck, eyes, arms and back. Workplace musculo-skeletal disorder is a serious concern. It can be prevented by ergonomics in the workplace. What has ergonomics to do in the designing? It creates a healthy and also a safe environment for the workers.
Read out for Psychosomatic Illness and reasons
Ergonomics in Workplace
What is ergonomics other than designing the environment?
- Ergonomics also includes the posture one sits while using the computer. Maintaining the same posture for the long time will result in heath related consequences.
- While working on a computer always position the keyboard at an elbow’s length.
- Always use a stand, when you are typing a long document, in order to avoid the neck twisting or bending forward.
- Avoid using the cell phone in the posture of ear to shoulder- neck as it creates lot of stress.
- Always try to use the adjustable lumbar support in the chair. It maintains the curve of the spine. In case there is a chair without lumbar support, make sure to use a small pillow as a support for your lower back.
Also psychological ergonomics must be taken into consideration. It studies the mental process like emotion, reasoning, etc,. It also includes how people react to the particular circumstances. It includes decision making, attitude, motivation, pleasure etc.
Disadvantage of ignoring ergonomics in the workplace can be very serious. It can create small disturbances in the office environment to as big as costing your business money. Creation of an ergonomic workplace need not be an expensive or hard thing. It mostly revolves around positioning of the seats and a perfect ambiance for the employees to work.
When you have agreed that the ergonomics in the workplace weighs in the performance of the employees be sure to consult the ergonomists. Ergonomists study the analytic techniques, which helps them to choose the design for the workplace. So many factors are considered by the ergonomists as each individual varies in mental ability, culture, emotions, experience, strength etc. Ergonomists work in a way to provide a safe and productive environment for the workers.
Advantages of ergonomics in the workplace:
The main advantage is the employee’s comfort although it has some other perks such as
- It improves employee’s engagement in the work.
- It reduces the cost to the company indirectly by avoiding MSD’s.
- It increases the productivity of the job
- It creates a safe atmosphere for the workers.